Friday, July 04, 2008

Tastet 4th of July Tradition

I think the 4th of July is probably Kevin's favorite holiday. Not for the fireworks or bbqing, but for the Continental Congress and Declaration of Independence. Every year, we have to watch the musical 1776 and read the Declaration of Independence, out loud - sentence by sentence. I thought I might get out of the annual reading when I heard it read on NPR. I ran into the bedroom and turned up the radio so Kevin could hear it as well. NPR had a different correspondent read each sentence.

No luck, I still had to do the "reading". When Kevin got up, the first thing he did (after making coffee) was to put 1776 on. Ugh.

We are going to take a break and go for a bike ride. I can now ride my bike, if I don't clip in and keep it flat.

In addition to the Declaration of Independence rituals, our other Tastet tradition is to medicate Duke with Xanax. He gets really jumpy with the fireworks. Maggie doesn't care. Last night I gave him a Xanax when the fireworks started going off. He then only groaned with each pop or bang.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Hi Dana! Thanks for commenting on my blog. I actually need to give you your China books back. I'll bring them to the office and drop them by soon.

Ok your 4th of July traditions are hysterical. I've never heard of anyone reading the Declaration out loud, but it actually sounds like something some of my friends would love to do.

Katie said...

Hi Dana! Thanks for commenting on my blog. I actually need to give you your China books back. I'll bring them to the office and drop them by soon.

Ok your 4th of July traditions are hysterical. I've never heard of anyone reading the Declaration out loud, but it actually sounds like something some of my friends would love to do.