Saturday, July 25, 2009

Cologne & A New Bike



Earlier this week I saw an email come through from a Mom & Tot's group that had a cargo bike for sale. Kevin & I jumped on it and bought ourselves another bike! This brings the bike count up to 7. Yes, 7. I love our little cargo bike. It was a steal. It needs a little work but I trust that Kevin can get it in tip top shape.


Friday Kevin, Kara, Isaak & I took the bikes to Prenatal (big baby store) and Ikea. Kevin and I road our road bikes, Kara was on my geared Dutch bike and Isaak was in the trailer. My tires were pretty low but figured it would be fine. The ride was 30 minutes away. My back tire went completely flat. We did our little shopping: a parasol for Isaak's stroller (for a sun shade), socks that fit (9mo size as everything else is too small) and faster flow bottle nipples. While i fed Isaak, Kevin worked on changing my back tire - of course neither of us had a hand pump but Kevin had a compressed air pump. He filled it with air, discovered I had a leak, changed it and then filled it with air again, only to have it go flat a 2nd time. SHIT. We still needed to get to Ikea (about 5 min away by bike) and then get home. We lashed my bike to the top of the trailer (with Isaak safely underneath) and then Kara road sidesaddle on the luggage rack of my dutch bike while I pedaled. She and I couldn't stop laughing, which didn't help the iffy balance.


After Ikea I took my bike (still on top of the trailer, but now converted to the stroller) and caught the train home. Kevin & Kara raced home on their bikes. They had the keys and had to get there before me.


I wish we I had pictures...it was a classic SNAFU.


Saturday we rented a car and drove to Cologne. Kevin and i had been in December with Kristen, for the Christmas market. I actually like the town better with out the market. It was packed then and had a lot less people today. We toured the Dom cathedral again. Kara and I made the climb up the bell tower. Kevin had done it in December (there wa
s no way I was going to do it at 7 mo pregnant and an aching back). The climb was the longest I have done in either a church or other historic site. It was taller then the Arc d' Triomphe and Brugge, however its steps were wider (still spiral). It was a great view and worth the burning, aching, shaky legs we had for the rest of the day after.


On the Isaak front...
We have graduated to rice cereal. It took a couple of days for him to figure out how to eat it but now eats it like a champ. He gets really excited and opens his mouth wide for each bite, however with the first couple of bites he gives you a funny look... I am sure he is thinking "You tricked me. This isn't what I expected, where is the strawberry gelato". He is now getting cereal twice a day (and sleeps for 3 hours after each time!) For the last month he has been on formula during the day and breastmilk in the morning and evening. I am now in the process of changing the evening feed to formula and then will follow with the morning feed. I really want to start taking my Advair again. I have an asthma attack several times a day and the Advair will prevent them, like magic. Isaak is also on his way out of his 3-6 mo clothes. I have packed almost all of them away and have him in 6 - 9mo clothes. He is begining his 21st week on Monday. How are you supposed to keep these little buggers in clothes!

No comments: