Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Cabane Prafleuri > Arolla

The day started out with a climb up a col to 2800m (from 2600m). The view was of a deep valley now filled by a dam held glacier lake. It was supposed to rain this morning, but so far, no sign of it.

We walked down to the lake and along it for about 2 hours. We saw lots of climbers and day hikers. The climbers must have been coming down from Mont Blanc Cheilon. We stopped for lunch at the end of the lake, which is where I learned I wouldn't have to cross the bridge--something I was really not looking forward to. Instead we would avoid the traverse across the steep slope covered in scree and head to the Cabane Dix, cross the glacier and then go up the ladders.

We could look over on to the other side of the canyon and see Alex & Paul traversing the scree, I was glad to be on the side I was on.

It was a long slow climb to the Cabane. We kept expecting it to be just over the next little ridge, turns out we first had to climb to 2900m+ and then down to the cabane. We stopped for hot chocolate and then headed down to the glacier. We crossed a boulder field on either side of it and then scrambled up to the ladders.

The ladders are 3 iron ladders bolted to the rock face (near vertical). They are about 50 feet tall. At one point, near the top, you have to get off of one ladder on to a little rock ledge and then get on to the last ladder. We waited for a family to come down them (with a rope). Then it was our turn. I went first, I wore my gloves for fear the ladder would get cold and then I wouldn't be able to feel my fingers. I took them off when I switched ladders near the top -- my hands were sweating and the bars were actually warm. The long middle ladder shook a little and it seemed like a really long way to the top. When I switched ladders, I took the gloves off. I have never been so happy to be at the top of anything! Kevin came up after I did. We took some pictures, caught our breath and then headed down to Arolla. It was about 2 hours down hill. It was pleasant at first, but then turned into a death march. About 30 minutes above the town we heard a band...then we saw them when we got in to town.

Alex, Paul & Nigel met us with beer. That was a welcome sight! Turns out we were the only ones to take the ladders. They made it in 6.5 hours, we made it in about 8 (should have taken us 6.5 - 7.5), so not too bad.

After the beer we checked in, picked up Kevin's bag (a welcome sight - 9 days later), showered, did laundry and then headed out for dinner with Alex & Paul. Today was their last day.

2 comments:

Mary Ellen Smith said...

Kevin & Dana! Love the blog! Sounds like you're having a GREAT trip! I'm so jealous. Thigh high snow in mid-August? I wouldn't have packed right. Good thing you're doing this while Kevin's still relatively young. He hasn't got many hiking years left! Happy Birthday Kev-Beat! Love Boogie

Anonymous said...

Missing you guys and the trekking already! Ate so much over the last 2 days in Annecy. Sadly come home to no Internet so sat in a cafe reading the blog. Paul will see you Wednesday. Alex and Paul xx