Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Counting the days until my Maternity leave...

I am now 35 weeks. My last day in the office is Monday, Feb 9th. I will then have about 4 weeks before the little guy is due. The dutch get 16 weeks of maternity leave, legally mandated to start 4 weeks before the due date. 

We had a midwife appointment on Monday. We saw a midwife we hadn't seen yet (there are 5 in the group and I will see all before I am done). She was able to tell that he is growing but was a little concerned about his size. On Monday he was deep against my back so she couldn't really get her hands on him and he isn't exactly a big baby. She sent me for my 4th ultrasound, which was today. 

A quick side note, we didn't know if we were going to be able to have the 20 week one here (to find out the sex) so we had it in the US, then they sent us for another here -- hence the 4. 

Before my ultrasound, I tried to exchange my US drivers license for a dutch one. I tried to do this on Monday as well, but after making to trips two the Municipal office and still not succeeding I had given up. I went back today with even more paperwork then you are supposed to need (when we registered at the town hall in November they had put my place of birth as the US, leaving out the state - this isn't right and it has to have the state for the drivers license). So....today I went back with my birth certificate, because my passport stating my place of birth wasn't good enough. I was there for an hour, waiting for someone at the head office to flip some magic switch and I had to leave to make it to the ultra sound...so close! I have a real appointment on Tuesday so it should all be solved then!

Back to the ultrasound, Kevin was going to meet me there but his hair cut ran long and he forgot his phone so we missed each other. Our little guy is growing just fine. He is about 5.4 lbs right now, in the 20th - 25th percentile. I am actually kind of happy with small - maybe the delivery will be easier that way. Kevin was a 10lb baby, something I didn't learn until I after I was pregnant.

I then had to take the ultrasound results back to the midwife office so that we could make the next appointment - either next week or the week after. Our next appointment is Feb 16th..we are now in the every 2 week range, soon to be once a week and then every 3-4 days.

We ordered a carseat last week. It arrived today...this whole thing is starting to become more real. We also made what I hope to be our last trip to Ikea for baby stuff (at least for a while). His room is simple, functional and done!

3 more days of work! I can't wait.

1 comment:

Mel said...

Um, "starting" to become more real?? Hahaha... so "real" isn't til the little guy actually arrives? ;-)