Thursday, March 19, 2009

Week 2

Monday
Monday was our last day of having a Kraamzorg. Isaak got another bath and then Esther cleaned the apartment. She left early as it was pretty obvious that we were ok with out her.

Kevin had an interview in Hilversum at the International School of Hilversum. He was practically offered a part time teaching position for next year. The director told him she could make a schedule to fit his needs and potentially sweeten the deal with a Theory of Knowledge class (the class he has always wanted to teach). This is great news for next year!

I ventured out to the local Hema in search of a couple of more nursing bras. I didn't have any luck. I dug through all of their nursing bras (with Isaak on my chest) and they didn't have a single one in my size. Erghhh. I sent Courtenay a text and she graciously stopped at Prenatal on her way home and picked me up 2. Thank goodness! Otherwise I was looking at having to do laundry every day!

Isaak all bundled up for our walk to Hema.

My laptop crapped out over the weekend. Don't worry, I haven't been working! I use it to surf from the couch :) Kristen stopped by today to pick it up and take it in to the HelpDesk for me. She got a few minutes in of holding Isaak.

Wednesday
A woman stopped by from the "baby clinic" for our intake. In the Netherlands all of the wellness/vaccines/check ups are done through a baby clinic. Illnesses are treated by our "house" doctor. The intake woman came to get more information from us and set up the first appointment. After she left Kevin and I headed out for a walk. We took the dogs and walked to Vondelpark. It is about 3/4 of a mile to the park and then we think we walked at least a 1/2 mile around the smaller loop before heading home for 2 miles total. It was a beautiful day and Isaak slept through the entire walk.

Thursday 
Isaak cooperated beautifully. He woke up around 7:50, I fed him and then jumped in the shower. Our appointment at the consulate was for 10am. I have been worried about this all week, I knew I was probably going to have to feed him while we were there and was a little unsure of how to maintain my modesty - or at least the idea of it. (I am torn on this whole modesty thing. Part of me says - screw it...if someone wants to look at my big a** boob while I feed Isaak, have at it. But then the other part of me doesn't.) Turns out that with a little help from Kevin my Minky nursing cover worked well.  Turns out we were only 15 minutes late, we had to wait for 10 min for the tram, I think 15 min is doing pretty damn good for having a newborn! Once in side we were afraid that we would not be able to get what we needed done today as we hadn't pre-filled out the forms and Kevin didn't think he brought our marriage certificate (why there was a need for this, I don't know).  Turns out we had the certificate and we quickly filled out the forms. It was weird filling out official forms for someone other then myself. I had to keep remembering that when they asked for "Name" or "Birthdate", they wanted Isaak's - not mine.

We got Isaak's passport photos there (not perfect - but then in a year it won't matter anyway). Kevin and I had to swear that the paperwork was accurate and that was it. Isaak's passport will be ready in 2 weeks and his social security card will come later. Once we have his passport Kevin will go back to the Townhall to complete his registration. He went last week to register him but they wouldn't accept that he was a US citizen... something about proof that either Kevin or I had ever been in the US (because it isn't like we haven't proven that to them 15 times in the last 6 months).  So...Isaak is currently with out country. Once the US passport is here we can also start the process of getting him his dutch residency. The consulate took about an 90 minutes. We had a little problem with the tram on the way home. We didn't get to the stroller door fast enough. Once the doors start to close they will not reopen --- no matter how many times you push the button. So we caught a different tram and had a nice little walk home.

Once home I fed Isaak and then all 3 of us took a nap. Kevin then headed to tutor and Isaak and I went grocery shopping. I bought a little wheeled cart to bring the groceries home in. Kevin teases me that I could now go collect cans. I don't care --- I feel too much like a mule with Isaak on my chest and a grocery bag over each shoulder.

While I waited for Isaak to wake up from yet another nap I was able to fold laundry and make the potato part of Stamppot. Stampot is a dutch comfort food. It has mashed potatos with either carrots, onions, kale, or other root vegtables. You then serve it with smoked sausage, meatballs or bacon (or all of the above). Kevin made the meatballs while I fed Isaak. The stamppot turned out well!

Jay was in town for work and stopped by this evening. It was really great to see him. 

After Jay left Isaak ate off and on until 10:30 when he finally slipped back into the eat sleep rhythm.

Friday
I have been able to consistently get 2 - 3 hours a sleep at a time, starting at 1am and going until 8 or 9. I am actually very happy with this!

I gave Isaak a bath, my first solo attempt. It went well. We only used 1 towel...a first. The last 2 baths required 2 towels as Isaak seems to have the perfect timing to let it fly once bundled in a towel and on the way to the bath.

Diane & Alexander stopped by to see the little guy. We have had a lot of visitors this week, about 1 a day. I didn't get a walk in today, instead I took a nap. It was beautiful out and I wish the timing had been such that I could have gotten out.

Kevin had an interview with the International School of The Hague today, for a long term sub assignment. He came home with the job. It is about an 1 hour and 50 minute commute for him. An hour on the train and then a 50 min tram ride. Yuck. He will work Wednesdays and Fridays. They gave him a contract (rather then regular daily subbing) so they will reimburse him for the train tickets, pay him through July and tack on extra periods to get him more time there. This is great news! He is also up to 5 tutoring clients from the International School of Amsterdam. He really likes tutoring, he gets to teach and see them learn with out having to do any of the grading.

No comments: