Sunday, March 12, 2006

Day 14 Sunday March 12th - On to Shanghai

Most of the day was spent traveling. We checked the luggage in as a group.
We were only supposed to have 1 checked bag each, we all checked about 2 so
we were seriously overweight. I think it cost everyone about 10 bucks.

Once in Shanghai we stacked all of our luggage together to be loaded on a
van while we took a bus to the hotel. After unpacking and sending my laundry
out several of us met to walk around (Gabby, Yachin, Juey, Oscar, Jason,
Matthew and John). We walked down the Bund (which is a big sidewalk along
side the Huang Pu River and then in towards Old Town. I bought a Mah Jong
set Yaching bought a bamboo scroll. The bargaining is quite fun. I get
better at it each time. We had dinner at a restaurant in Old Town. By the
time we finished it was dark and much colder then before so Oscar, Jason,
John and Juey caught a cab home and the other 4 of us walked back along the
Bund. Shanghai (downtown) is on one side of the Huang Pu River and Pu Dong
is on the other. At night all of the buildings on both sides are lit up, it
was really quite nice. This was also when more of the ��pocket�� salesman
come out, where they pull something out of their pocket to see if you want
it. They have to be pretty discreet as the police crack down on them.

Once back at the hotel I read up on Shanghai so I could figure out what I
want to see here and Yachin made some phone calls. I also worked on posting
my pics from Beijing and Tokyu.

Yachin is going to teach Vera, Gabby and I how to play Mah Jong later
tonight too.

I will post a link to the pics shortly.

No comments: