Friday, March 17, 2006

Day 18 Thursday March 16th - Shanghai

After sleeping in until about 9 we got up and got ready for our last day of
business formal. We were to meet downstairs at 11:45 to board the bus and
head to EGL in Pudong. Since we missed breakfast upstairs (which really
wasn't some thing feel bad about missing) Yachin and Vera and I went
downstairs to a little bakery and got some rolls and then over to a
convience store where we bought warm cans of coffee and milk tea. We feasted
in our room, which was a disaster area as Yachin and I had started the
packing process.

EGL was good. 4 expats (not all from the US) spoke to us about what they do
for EGL and then we had the opportunity to talk individually with them about
what ever we wanted. It was interesting to listen to their biggest challenge
in China, attracting and retaining staff. This seems to be an issue that
spans regions and industries. Because things are changing so rapidly in the
cities people will jump companies for even the slightest difference in pay,
but then may return in a year. But as with EGL, a lot of training must be
invested in each new individual as they don't know anything about logistics
or providing it as a service.

Once back at the hotel and after a quick bite (at the same place Gabby and I
went to last night) a large group of people walked to the Bund for a cruise
on the Huang Pu river. It was great to be able to see a small section of the
river and be able to look at both sides of it.

After the river tour several of us made our way to the night market, which
is really knock off central. After some wandering around and only purchasing
a set of dice (to go with my mah jong sets) and a little Buddha I met up
with some of the others. There was a woman trying to sell them DVDs. John
talked to her and we followed her to her stash. Which really ended being
down several alleys and pretty soon we found ourselves standing in her
family's kitchen. Well really only Oscar and I fit in the kitchen the other
four were just outside. After much discussion we were led upstairs to where
the real stash of DVDs were. We all purchased between 10-20 each. This has
got to be my strangest China experience yet. Afterwards we headed back to
the hotel.

Back at the hotel Yachin and I both tried to pack. Yachin is leaving for her
home town of Nanning on Friday and I just wanted to see if all of my stuff
would fit in the 2 suitcases I have. I think it will all fit, the true test
will be when I pick up Kevin's coat tomorrow and if that will also fit.

No comments: