Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Day 7: Sunday March 5th.

Sunday morning I met several people in the lobby to go to a flea market near
the Meiji shrine. Evidently this particular market only happens on the 1st
Sunday of every month. It was a beautiful day. Up until Saturday we had
cold, windy dreary days. Both Saturday and Sunday were beautiful. At the
flea market I negotiated for a Japanese abacus and purchased a Sake set
(blue porcelain) for about a $1 a piece. I got 2 bottles and 4 cups. I later
broke one of the bottles so I am glad I bought 2. The flea market is right
next to a shrine where we saw a photo shoot for a traditional wedding. Kelly
and I got some pictures with the one of the Shinto priests and I got a
picture of 3 older ladies in traditional Kimonos.

We walked to the Japanese Bazaar store. This store was amazingly reasonably
priced. I bought 4 Japanese prints that I will frame when I get home. Man
do I wish there was a inexpensive way to get furniture shipped home, I saw
some antiques I really liked. As it turns out the street the store is on is
one of the streets that Patrick and I had ran down earlier.

We headed back to the hotel where I met Vera and Yachin for lunch in the
Food Show. I bought some tea and headed back to the hotel to drag my 70lb
bag to the lobby. We left for the airport around 1pm.

At the Narita airport your checked bag goes through security even before you
check in at the ticket counter. Once you are checked in you then go through
Passport control and then security. The Narita airport really doesn��t have
very much to offer in the way of food in the International concourse. I
worked on my posts while we killed the 2 hours before our flight.

I really enjoyed Japan. I want to bring Kevin back and see all of things I
didn��t get to see. I didn��t get a chance to see Kabuki (Japanese Theater)
or to Ginza. There are so many areas to explore that a few partial days can
in no way cover it.

No comments: